Lifeline is a government program that offers qualified low income households a discount on their monthly bill.
Eligible customers will save $9.25 on the basic monthly bill. These benefits apply to your local telephone service or broadband services or a bundle including both. The benefits also cover the Federal Universal Service Charge (FUSC).
Lifeline credits are only available to the eligible customer / household and cannot be applied to more than one telecommunications provider at a time.
How do I know if I am eligible? Enrollment in one of the following programs is required.
- Federal Public Housing Assistance / Section 8
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veteran’s Pension and Survivor’s Pension Program
- Total household income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Lifeline can only be used for the primary line in a household. You may purchase additional services available to a non-Lifeline customer. You must establish service prior to applying for the Lifeline discount.
To apply for Lifeline, call Santel Communications directly at 888-978-7777 or 777. An application can be obtained via phone, or from the Santel Communications office in Woonsocket, SD.
You will be asked to sign a form stating, under penalty of perjury, that you receive benefits from at least one of the qualifying programs listed above and submit a copy of any dated document which verifies your participation in one of the qualifying programs listed above. You may be asked to submit proof of continuing eligibility on an annual basis. Proof of total household income may be required for income-based qualification. The following documents are acceptable as proof of income:
- Most recent federal tax return
- Three consecutive months of payroll statements or paycheck stubs for the current year
- A Social Security statement of benefits
- A Veterans’ Administration statement of benefits
- A retirement/pension statement of benefits
- Unemployment/Workers Compensation statement of benefits
- A divorce decree, child support statement or any other official document showing proof of your income.
Your Lifeline benefits will take effect when proof of eligibility is received.
Eligibility is reviewed periodically. Your benefits will be discontinued when you no longer meet the eligibility requirements or when proof of eligibility is not received. Customers who are no longer eligible for Lifeline benefits must notify their service provider.
Being a Lifeline customer does not protect you from being disconnected for failure to pay your bill.
Lifeline can only be applied to one account per independent household.
Click here for the application
Click here to visit the South Dakota Public Utilities Commission website